Tailgating is a major tradition of our family. Through our Panthers tailgate, I have met some lifelong friends one of which has become seriously one of my closest girlfriends. We have watched the people in our tailgate family celebrate major milestones, get married, have babies and so much more. So you can imagine that the idea that tailgate this year will look a little different is hard. But, that doesn’t mean we can’t create our own tailgate at home and the most amazing part of any tailgate is the food, obvi.
Y’all this was soooo delicious! It has the perfect amount of heat so it’s not too spicy and I love that it’s so much more than just a basic queso dip. Plus, the crisp corn adds a bit of sweetness that breaks up that subtle hint of spice. It was a huge hit in our house during the first Panthers game of the season! Tyler even mentioned that it would be great to heat up and pour over a burger so you can imagine what we’re most likely having for dinner tonight.
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 1 lb chorizo sausage or taco seasoned ground beef/ground turkey
- 1 cup of chopped red onion
- 1 cup of black beans, drained and rinsed
- 1 cup of sweet corn, drained and rinsed
- 1/2 cup of pickled jalapeños (if you don’t like too much spice, use less or none)
- 1 can of original Rotel with green chiles, drained
- 1 cup of grated pepper jack cheese
- 16 oz Velveeta cheese
- 1/2 cup of milk
- 1/2 cup of chopped green onion
- 1 lime
- Heat 2 tbsp of olive oil in a pan
- Add red onion and cook until translucent
- Add sausage/ground beef/ground turkey and cook fully then set aside
- In a large pot, add Velveeta cheese, pepper jack cheese and milk
- Cook on medium heat until fully melted
- Add rotel, corn, beans, jalapeño and stir into cheese
- Lastly, mix in the meat and onion mixture
- Pour into a bowl and top with green onion and a few squeezes of fresh lime
- Serve with tortilla scoops!